Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Farah exports watermelon worth 2b afghanis this year

Farah exports watermelon worth 2b afghanis this year

Jun 22, 2016 - 17:01

FARAH CITY (Pajhwok): There has been a drastic increase in the yield of watermelon in western Farah province and so far this summer the fruit worth 2 billion afghanis had been exported, an official said on Wednesday.

Shah Mohammad, a senior official of the agricultureinfo-icon department, told Pajhwok Afghan News this year there was a bumper production of watermelon in the province and its quality was also good.

According to him, last year 341,000 tonnes of watermelon had been produced by 11,000 hectares of land. So far during the current year, 420,000 tonnes of watermelon have been picked from 12,000 hectares, showing a four tonnes increase per hectare.

He linked timely rains and abundant water availability to the higher watermelon yield. Last year the price of per 5 kilograms of watermelon was 12-20 afghanis but the figure has soared to 25 afghanis in 2016.

Mahmood said Farah consumed up to 10 percent of the crop, with the remaining 90 percent exported to other provinces and abroad.

“We exported the fruit worth 2 billion afghanis from Farah, although 10 days are still left in the season. Our statistics show watermelon worth nearly 2 billion afs has been exported from Farah this year,” he continued.

Hameedullah, 37, a resident of Darabad village, said: “Thank Allah this year the yield is very good.” His land produced 250 tonnes of watermelon and per five kilograms sold for 26 afghanis.

Mohammad Daud, another farmer from Pushtrod district, also expressed happiness over his bumper crop. He collected 68 tonnes of watermelon from two hectares of land.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment



Twitter Update