Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Helmand: 18,000 police killed in past 15 years

Helmand: 18,000 police killed in past 15 years

By
On
Apr 24, 2017 - 20:54

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): More than 18,000 policemen have been lost to the conflict-related violence in southern Helmand province during the past 15 years, the provincial police chief said on Monday.

Addressing a seminar “police accountability” here, Maj. Gen. Aqa Noor Kentoz said 6000 machineguns and other police equipment had been lost or destroyed during the period.

He said families of martyred police personnel were being given the compensation amount, but in past few years certain rights were mistakenly given to civilian organizations.

Last year, 70 police officials were referred to the attorneys over negligence in duty and corruption, Kentoz said.

Without naming anyone, Kentoz said some detainees had been released through mediation of the provincial council and parliament members.

Some parliamentarians have employed unprofessional and illiterate officials in police districts, the Helmand police chief, adding 450 ghost personnel had been dismissed so far and 2,000 new police recruited.

Brig. Gen. Abdul Hadi Taren, deputy commander of the 215 Maiwand military corps, said the soldiers had also suffered heavy casualties during the past 15 years and their many weapons and ammunitions had lost or destroyed.  Militants have also suffered heavy casualties in this period, Taren added.

Taren said new operations have been launched for recapturing areas lost to militants. The operations have been successful so far.

Helmand intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Mohammad Yasin said militants used guns they had taken from Afghan security forces. He said they had devised plans for defeating the Talibaninfo-icon in Helmand.

Governor Hayatullah Hayat said some problems prevented security forces from carrying out operations last winter. He said police abandoned 112 posts and the army 38 posts without resistance to militants last year.

“This was done on the behest of some people. We have documents and their names will be disclosed at a right time”, Hayat said.

He said some security officials had been arrested over abandoning check posts and sent to Kabulinfo-icon, but instead of being punished, they were promoted, the governor said. He said only 39 percent of security forces in Helmand were equipped. 

Helmand is Afghanistan’s most insecure province where the Taliban are in control of six districts of the total 13.

kh/ma

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update