Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Casualties as security forces clear protest camps

Casualties as security forces clear protest camps

Jun 20, 2017 - 13:30

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Two demonstrators were killed, four wounded and 11 others detained as security forces removed protest tents from roads in Kabul, protestors claimed on Tuesday.

On May 31, around 150 people were killed and more than 350 others wounded in a truck suicide bombing in the Wazir Akbar Khan diplomatic quarter of the capital.

Two days later, hundreds of people took to the streets in the capital, demanding investigations into the security breach, days ahead of an international conference in Kabul.

The demonstration turned violent and seven protestors were killed and 10 others were wounded in clashes with police guarding the Presidential Palace. Twenty-five policemen were also wounded.

For three weeks, eight protest camps existed in different parts of the city, creating problems for the public.

The protestors’ demands include an investigation into the recent terror attacks, resignation of government leaders and security chiefs and prosecution of those who fired on protestors.

Ainuddin Baig, one of the protestors, told Pajhwok Afghan News the security forces attacked their camps and started removing the tents before dawn, without any notice.

He said the security forces included Presidential Palace guards, special unit, and garrison and police personnel. “They attacked the tents with machine guns, weapons and water cannons.”

Baig added the protestors tried to prevent the removal of tents with bare hands and wood sticks, but the security forces fired on them, killing two demonstrators and injuring four others.

He said the protestors dispersed after the attack and 11 others were arrested by security forces. “Our protest was fair as we sought justice and an end to the killing of innocent people.

“Unfortunately, the government silenced our voice,” Baig alleged, seeking the immediate replacement of security bosses. “We would continue our protest until our demands are met”

Pajhwok tried to contact the Ministry of Interior and 101st Asmayee Police Zone for comments on the incident, but failed.

However, an officer of the 119 police hotline confirmed injuries and arrest of a number of protestors. But he was unaware of the killings. Different military units participated in the operation, he concluded.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment



Twitter Update